Monday, 2 August 2010

Brewers Yeast Berry Smoothie

Blueberry Brewers Yeast Smoothie

When my brother and I were growing up my mother was a bit of a health nut. She was ahead of her time in many respects. She cut out sugar from our day to day life but not in any sort of over the top way, we still had sweets on special occasions like birthdays and Christmas or Halloween and its not like she'd call ahead to a friend's house and tell their mom not to give us cookies if that's what was being offered. I'm pretty convinced that if we hadn't been on a primarily sugar free diet and if we went to elementary school now a days we would be labeled with attention disorders and our parents told to give us Ritalin. We were active/ hyper and in my case anxious kids but aren't most children? Add a diet of sugar and caffeine and well its no wonder most kids can't concentrate in school. Thank God we were born to our parents who understood us as well as they did (most likely because they were us). But Mom made us gargle golden seal root (disgusting but effective) on the onset of a sore throat, we had to have a tablespoon of cod liver oil everyday (yuck) and had our cereals sprinkled with wheat germ and our yogurts powdered with brewers yeast. We also ate whole wheat bread during an era when WONDER BREAD was the standard in the American home. And don't get me started on the wheat grass, although now I love it and supposedly its helpful for women who are trying to conceive.

Blueberries and Poppy Cloth

Needless to say my mom's fascination with alternative healing and healthy eating has rubbed off on me. I was a pescatarian for thirteen years (I only ate fish as a meat) and am mildly obsessed with the healing powers of food and herbs. I generally take goldenseal/ echinacea drops on the onset of cold, take fish oil supplements daily (although we do eat quite a lot of salmon and mackerel which are oily fish and great sources of of Vitamin D and A and omega 3) and even sprinkle wheatgerm on my cereal on the morning. While I've always been a bit of a fanatic about health and healing I was particularly interested during my pregnancies and tried to make sure I was eating all the necessary foods to absorb the right vitamins. Folic acid is a great supplement for women at any time in their life not only for those planning to get pregnant or who are, as are the vitamin Bs which is why I've started incorporating brewers yeast powder back in my diet as its full of them. Its pretty awful smelling/ tasting by itself but you can easily disguise the taste in smoothies. The complex B vitamins are great to improve digestion, energy levels, the nervous system, skin, nails and hair - who couldn't use help with all of those?

Blueberry Brewers Yeast Smoothie Being Blended

Brewers Yeast Smoothie
3/4 Cup of Greek Yogurt (low fat as normal Greek yogurt can have as high as 10% fat!)
1-2 Tablespoons of Brewers Yeast powder (I normally do a heaping Tablespoon, depends on how much you can bear the taste)
1 Cup of Berries (Blueberries, Strawberries, Blackberries, Raspberries)
1 Banana
1 Tablespoon of honey

Combine all ingredients in your blender or food processor and blend until smooth and all ingredients are combined. And voila, you get a delicious and nutritious smoothie packed with protein, vitamins and antioxidants (from the berries) which keep you looking young.

5 comments:

sara said...

That does sound good! And how funny what you say about your mom being ahead of the times. My aunt was that way - very similar to what your mom sounds like. I always loved being at her house because she had a great way of looking at things :-)

88highburycorner said...

Thanks, it's the only way I've found to mask the taste of the Brewers Yeast. Which by the way I am convinced after drinking the BY smoothie I was able to stay running on the treadmill for an extra five minutes. My mom is great, she wasn't always shoving vegetables down our throat, occasionally she made us the equivalent of pancakes for dinner but her approach was really balanced which I guess I appreciate much more now that I am older.

Sapphie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sapphie said...

I found this post last week when searching for ways to use brewer's yeast. I've been making these smoothies every morning since! Thank you very much! I love them and they are sooo good for you!

88highburycorner said...

Thanks for stopping by Sapphie and glad you like the smoothie!